Wednesday, September 9, 2015

All Natural, Moisturizing Hand & Bath Soap



So, I recently downloaded the ThinkDirty app and realizing how many of our personal care products were a 9-10 rating on the toxin scale, mainly for carcinogenicity and developmental & reproductive toxicity, I was thoroughly horrified. My baby's soap that I have been using on her for her entire, little, sensitive, rapidly growing, and impressionable two years of life is a 9 on the toxicity scale for developmental & reproductive toxicity and a 4 on the carcinogenicity scale. How? Well, the mysterious label "fragrance" is legally allowed to be used in every personal care product to mask dangerous, toxic chemicals and is rated as a 9. And three other ingredients - Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Peg 150 Distearate, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate  - are a 4 on the carcinogenicity scale. Our hand soap was only worse on the toxicity scale - a full on 10 for Carcinogenicity with Dmdm Hydantoin (a chemical like this is pretty common in hand soaps), and a 9 for "fragrance" on the developmental & reproductive toxicity. I'm sure the amounts are small, but when it's in almost all of our personal care and cleaning products that we use on a repetitive, daily basis, we are surely overloading our bodies with toxins whose effects may take years to be completely known.

I know it's easy to feel jaded and complacent with the rationalization that "everything is toxic and causes cancer," but I will no longer let that stop me from trying to make healthier choices for me and my family. With my precious little girl, the stakes are just too high. I wish I could afford to completely eliminate our toxic, chemical products and replace them with far healthier alternatives, but for now I can't. I also can not afford the health consequences of not at least starting to try, little by little, to live healthier. It is possible if you're willing to make your health a priority in your life.

Young Living creates effective, natural and essential oil empowered alternatives to nearly every chemical, toxic product on the market. Unfortunately, I can't always afford them yet, so whenever possible or if something is out of stock, I try to make my own alternative. Plus, it's rather fun to experiment and create a product uniquely designed to meet your own individual and family needs.

This hand & bath soap recipe is still being experimented with and perfected, nor is it my own original creation. I got it from @ashleymartinessentials on Instagram because I was looking for a functional essential oil soap recipe that would be soft on mine and my daughter's sensitive skin. We live in a dry area, and during the winter soaps really dry out our skin. I modified the original recipe a bit to fit our own needs and so far I really like it.

Large glass or stainless steel soap dispenser (for storing essential oils safely)

1/2 cup full fat Coconut Milk (the kind that comes in a can)

3/4 cup Unscented, Baby Mild Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap

2 tbsp. Vitamin E oil (this is perhaps the most expensive part and can be substituted with vitamin e oil diluted with coconut oil or extra aloe vera gel).

1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil (or your favorite carrier oil).

1 tbsp. Vegetable Glycerine (I omitted this in mine since it's really just for texture and extra bubbles).

1-2 tbsp. Aloe Vera Gel

10 drops Lavender essential oil

10 drops Geranium essential oil

10 drops Copaiba essential oil

I chose these specific essential oils because I love their smell and how nourishing they are for the skin. You can always experiment with the amount and type of essential oils for your individual needs. Some other great combinations would be Melaleuca, Lavender, and Frankincense; Thieves, Lavender, and Copaiba; Stress Away and Geranium; Gentle Baby and Copaiba for younger children and pregnant women. The oils I chose and others like Melaleuca, Gentle Baby, and Frankincense are particularly gentle on even sensitive skin types and can always be diluted or eliminated if sensitivity occurs.

Even after learning how toxic our personal care product were, it took me a few weeks to scrape up enough time, energy, and materials to make this soap. It's never too late to start and it is so worth any inconvenience and extra expense to have that extra peace of mind. Why not starting using products that help our bodies do what they were meant to do, rather than potentially damage them in the long run? Worth it.

Email me at rach.dorian@gmail.com if you would like to learn more about how essential oils can benefit you and your family. I would love to hear from you!


*Disclaimer: This post is NOT intended as medical advice of any kind because I am not a doctor. These product(s) and statements have not been tested or evaluated by the FDA and so they are not intended to cure, treat, or prevent disease. Caution should be exercised with first time oil use - skin patch tests prior to use and dilution with carrier oil - especially in children. Children, especially under the age of 6, should never ingest essential oils without advice of a healthcare professional since they are concentrated and potent. If you are under the care of a physician, nursing, taking prescription medication, or pregnant please consult your doctor prior to use. Keep essential oils out of reach of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment