Monday, July 13, 2015

Lemon - Indispensable Liquid Sunshine


If I had to choose just one essential oil in the Young Living Premium Starter Kit that I could NOT live without, it would be Lemon. It is my absolute favorite and I have no idea how I managed to live without it. I really just cried and took naps to release tension and stress. Sound familiar? Lemon has given me a new lease on life with renewed energy and better emotional balance. I really wish I had it when I was pregnant and my baby was young. It could have helped us both immensely.

Young Living says: "Lemon (Citrus limon) essential oil includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods."

Lemon is particularly indispensable when it comes to cleaning without chemicals. If you've ever had the goal to create a more chemical free home for yourself and your children, Lemon is the best way to start! I use it in both of my DIY cleaners - the All Purpose and multipurpose Windex substitute because it excels at purifying, polishing, and cleaning just about anything. It can also eliminate odors, purify the air and water, remove stains from carpet and other surfaces, remove gum, oil, grease, permanent marker, glue, etc.

It is incredibly handy for cooking and as a dietary supplement.* Ever had a craving for lemonade or lemon water but you would rather not spend the energy juicing and cutting up a million and one lemons? Yeah, me too. That's why I love to add a couple of drops of Lemon to my water when I'm feeling down or stressed or exhausted, which is almost every day as a busy mom. Whenever I take a veggie capsule with essential oils, I always add Lemon to the mix to neutralize any less pleasant tasting or smelling oils and give myself an extra emotional and energizing boost. Taking Lemon in a capsule after or before meals has been known to support wellness and healthy weight maintenance since it is rich in the antioxidant "limonene." Lemon is also very popular for supporting mental and emotional clarity. "It promotes clarity of thought and purpose with a fragrance that is invigorating, enhancing, and warming" (Essential Oils Pocket Reference, 85). I can't wait to try making Lemonade with it this summer!

I prefer to diffuse or ingest lemon rather than apply it topically because like other citrus oils it's considered photosensitive, meaning it could cause a slight sunburn in some people if applied topically and then exposed to the sun. Basically, don't lather yourself in it before a beach day, use a skin patch test, and always dilute it. It is excellent for cleansing the skin though, maybe in a night time ritual.

Specific Blends & Uses:
  • Add to any DIY cleaning product or air freshener to purify, polish, whiten, and spread a lovely, clean aroma.
  • Add to any beverage, particularly water, to purify, detox, and support the immune and digestive systems. 
  • Diffuse or combine with any less pleasant smelling oil to improve its scent.
  • Diffuse with Lavender and Copaiba to support restful sleep.
  • Diffuse with Purification and Peppermint to boost energy and purify the air.
  • Diffuse with RC and Frankincense to support respiratory and immune systems and emotional balance.
  • Combine with DiGize and Copaiba in a veggie capsule to support digestive comfort.
  • Take as a dietary supplement to support wellness.
This liquid sunshine should be a staple of any healthy, happy home. Email me at rach.dorian@gmail.com if you're curious and want to learn more.

 
*Disclaimer: This post is NOT intended as medical advice of any kind because I am not a doctor. These product(s) have not been tested or evaluated by the FDA and so they are not intended to cure, treat, or prevent disease. They only help your body to do what it was meant to do. Caution should be exercised with first time oil use - skin patch tests prior to use and dilution with carrier oil - especially in children. Children, especially under the age of 6, should never ingest essential oils without advice of a healthcare professional since they are concentrated and potent. If you are under the care of a physician, nursing, taking prescription medication, or pregnant please consult your doctor prior to use. Keep essential oils out of reach of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment